LOVE ElasticThreads and my old buddy Brett for putting this awesomeness together.
Brett and I just released nvALT 2.1 with a lot of bug fixes, UI improvements, and some new features. Some of my favorite additions:
- TextMate style auto-pairing of matched characters like parenthesis, brackets, and double quotes.
- Shortcut (CMD-Shift-L) for Inserting [[Links]]
But I also just finished up developing Safari and Chrome extensions to extend nvALT’s notational velocity (or something ;) into the browser.
They let you create a new note in Safari 4 different ways:
- Click the toolbar button to have nvALT download the current page you’re on as a new note
- Right-click on a link, and select the appropriate option from the contextual menu, to have nvALT download the linked page as a new note.
- Right-click away from either a link or a selection, and select the appropriate option from the contextual menu, to have nvALT download the current page you’re on as a new note.
- Right-click on selected text, and select the appropriate option from the contextual menu, to have nvALT create a new note with the selected text as well as a link to the current page you’re on.
There’s an preference setting to have nvALT use Instapaper’s Mobilizer when downloading pages into new notes, so that those notes are more readable. This is not turned on by default. To turn it on go to the extension’s preference page.
Since these extensions require OS X and nvALT 2.1, I don’t have any plans to release them on their respective Browser’s extensions page. Check back here or follow me on Twitter @elasticthreads for updates to the extensions.
Please email any bug reports to elasticthreads att gmail.com with “nvIt bug report” in the subject
p.s. I’ll post the source for these on GitHub soon, but if you are willing and able to develop a Firefox version please email me.